Strawberry Dessert Cake
1 Angel Food cake mix
Liquid red food color
2/3 cup strawberry topping
3 cups slightly softened lowfat strawberry ice cream or frozen yogurt
2 cups thawed lite whipped topping or lightly sweetened whipping cream
Fresh strawberries or raspberries
1. Prepare the Classic Angel Food Cake recipe with these changes: Line the bottom of a 9 x 3-in. springform pan with nonstick foil, then attach the sides of the pan. Substitute raspberry extract for the vanilla in Step 3, and add 3 drops liquid red food color with the extract. Spread in prepared pan and bake as directed.
2. Cool the cake completely, in pan, upside down on a wire rack. To loosen cake, run a thin-bladed knife around sides of pan; remove pan sides. Invert cake and remove pan bottom.
3. Using a serrated knife, cut cake into 2 layers. Place bottom layer, cut side up, on pan bottom and spread with 1⁄3 cup strawberry topping. Spoon 3 cups slightly softened lowfat strawberry ice cream or frozen yogurt over topping. Spread another 1⁄3 cup strawberry topping over ice cream. Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down.
4. Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight. (Once the cake is frozen, it can be wrapped and stored in freezer up to 2 weeks.)
5. To serve: Transfer frozen cake to a serving plate. Frost with 2 cups thawed lite whipped topping or lightly sweetened whipped cream. Decorate with strawberries or raspberries. Refrigerate 30 minutes to soften slightly before serving.
More recipes at womensday.com